Sunday, June 24, 2012

Saturday - June 23, 2012

As the week went on I continued to network, network, network. And I found this the most beneficial thing of this festival as a student. Every time I sat down next to someone in a seminar, workshop, master class, and even at the parties I asked them who they were and introduced myself. I have ended up already gaining forty new connections on LinkedIn and I have over eighty business cards I got from different people. I really enjoyed getting advice from people in the industry because they understood I was a student and I needed as much help as I could get. I truly only ran into one person who was not friendly or receptive to me - so if you ask me, those are some great odds!


During the Saturday night award ceremony Matt Maggart and I sat next to Dave Clemens who works with TAXI. We both introduced ourselves again and told him what are plans were for the next few years of lives. The only thing I have learned this trip is that I need to get a book/portfolio put together as soon as possible. It is just so hard because the University of Georgia they cater the classes more to the business perspective of advertising and I feel a bit shafted considering I want to be an art director. I had gotten mixed reviews about portfolio school but Dave Clemens made me feel one hundred percent about my decision to go to Miami Ad School next year. This is because he explained that it is two full years to learn about the creative part of the industry, work with real advertising executives, and dedicate all your time to building your portfolio. I asked him how I could start and what kinds of things I could add to it before going to portfolio school and he said that we could put anything we wanted because there are no rules for a book. He said to keep the book with all of your own original ideas and try to not look at anyone else's so you can stand out instead of trying to recreate theirs as your own. He said to make our works simple and genuine. He said that not all photographs and works need to be retouched because their is something beautiful and meaningful about untouched work. He also said we should keep a separate book of ads we find interesting and to write down what agency they came from, who worked on the piece, etc. This way when we get out of school we can see which agency we feel our style meshes with. He said each agency has a different culture, humor, and a way of working and you want to pick somewhere where you fit it. That led him to say that since we are currently students we should use the advantage of being broke because we are used to it. He said to not pick the place who offers you the most money but rather choose an agency where you will fit in and be able to create great pieces of work. I found his advice to be the most helpful I received this entire week.


The award ceremony was amazing and such a great production in itself. I loved watching all the winning advertisements and how there are so many categories now with upcoming technology. It has really taught me that you can do anything with advertising and I am so happy with my decision to choose this as my life long career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment