Monday, June 25, 2012

Short Story Experience

I consider myself a very cautious and weary person, especially when it comes to my beloved purse with all my belongings. We were told over and over again that people were really good at stealing so I made sure to keep my purse on me at all times an my badge around my neck no matter what. The first week went by great and I almost felt like I was telling my fellow classmates to watch out about leaving their purse by their side. During the festival I was still a bit worried but I slowly let me guard when moving from seminar to workshop.
The first two days of the festival I was lugging around my huge bag with my iPad and a ton of unnecessary junk; which hindered me from dancing my heart out later on at the bar and the amazing young Dutch creative party. So, I decided to stick with my small purse and only bring the essentials: paper to take notes, my French cell phone, wallet and money, business cards, and keys. The most important things I have with me all in my one small purse.
During the Young Lions party I had an amazing time dancing with the Brazilians and my new Dutch friend, Robbin, who I had met at the festival the day prior. No big bag was hindering my dancing because my small purse was the perfect size to still get my groove on. I kept it on my side the entire night and did not think a thing of it. At the end of the party my fellow classmate was really upset because she had left her purse sitting down and had lost all her most important essential things as well. So you think I would still keep my purse attached to me, right?
Well, we all moved from the Young Lions party to Gutter bar, my new favorite networking and drinking area. This night it was unbelievably busy in the streets so much that Robbin and I could not even get a drink there. So we went next door to the outside bar for Hotel Martinez and as we finally got to the bar the bartender was not paying us a bit of attention. As I pull out my wallet to wave it around (purse still attached to me) an older gentleman walks right up, holds his hand up, looks at me and asks what I want. He ordered my drink and Robbin’s drink and got them with the snap of his fingers. After I exchanged business cards and spoke to him about who he was Robbin and I decided to sit along the beach to finish our drinks and people watch.
It was then that I let my guard down because I felt that no one else was around besides the old naked people jumping into the ocean. Boy was I wrong. As my friend and I were laughing hysterically at the obliterated adults swimming naked in the freezing Mediterranean I set my purse right next to me. Huge mistake. Out of nowhere a guy sprints up next to us, grabs my purse, and takes off. My first reaction was to get up and chase after him; which is exactly what I did. I started yelling “No!!! Fuck you!” (Excuse my French ha) I managed to barely grab the edge of his shirt as he was trying to jump across the mini fence. He slipped back but continued to keep going. At this point my Robbin caught up and he grabbed his neck and ripped him to the sandy ground. We were in such a fluster and in the heat of the moment that we kept chasing him because we were not gong to let him get away with my beloved purse. I couldn’t keep up but Robbin chased him all the way to the street in hopes of getting my purse. I stood at the beach in the French Riviera thinking trying to catch my breathe and thinking about how I had completely lost all my essentials. But I still had a smile on my face because my badge was around my neck and that is all I needed in my mind. I started to walk back to where we were sitting before watching all bare drunkies, who were having the time of their lives, and I spotted my purse! There it was! In the sand right by the mini fence where we jerked the thief back. It was such a relieving moment that I could not even believe it. My tiny beloved black purse with my life inside just lying in the sand. Robbin and I jumped up and down in celebration but then had to sit down to catch our breath. Running full speed in the sand screaming sure does take a lot out of you. My lesson learned – never ever take your purse off your side. Seriously, no matter what. 

No comments:

Post a Comment