Sunday, June 17, 2012

Sunday - June 17, 2012 - Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity

Arriving at the 2012 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity was a bit overwhelming at first because I was not sure what to expect. Soon after everything started to sink in I became so energized and ready to soak it all in. The first seminar I went to was with the CEO of GoViral, Rene Rechtman. His powerpoint was very visually appealing and I loved his style of speaking because he kept my attention. His seminar was about how advertisements are changing from static to interactive. He had so many statistics about 'generation social', ages around 12 to 30. Generation social is truly a viral generation because we are so engaged in the internet and always interacting with each other. His main point was that advertising needs to move forward to engage, impact and give generation social a reason to be receptive to the advertisements. When the seminar was over I saw Rene Rechtman standing off to the side to I pushed my way up to him to introduce myself and exchange business cards. Wahoo! Then I went to the movie theatre room and watched a ton of commercials; which was way more fun then I expected it to be. After I went to the 360i Workshop. The first and most interesting thing I learned was that 80% of today's technology did not exist five years ago. They went on to explain how their agency works and how they break up coming up with the next 'big idea.' When 'hunting' for an idea they created categories of finding a client's request for 'the next big idea.' After they explained their brief they moved on to our project to make the 360i workshop the most talked about workshop at the festival. We then applied the categories of 'the next big idea' to our project. The winning group gets 400 euros and I think our group is going to win! We had the entire room stand up, scream, yell, and dance as if they were at a concert or just having a wonderful time. Then we posted it to Facebook and Twitter in hopes that everyone would see it and want to go and talk about the 360i Idea Safari workshop. Afterwards, I introduced myself to to Lee Maicon and exchanged business cards with him. I stayed in the same room for the next workshop with Cirkus about creating a stop motion stop. I found what they did really interesting but was disappointed that they did not teach us how to do the stop motion. To someone who came to learn about it ..  I could not really participate because I did not know where to begin. It was interesting and I met a bunch of very cool people but that was the highlight of that hour. Before the group met back up I went to the Nokia stand and won a free Twix and received a complimentary Diet Coke. We then listened to a guest speaker and mingled at happy hour. I ended up handing out and exchanging all of my business cards. Everyone was really receptive to meeting me and seeing what I was interested in doing. I have future plans to attend Miami Ad School in a year and everyone I spoke with said it was an amazing school. After the festival was over I went out and networked with a few more people but in a more social setting. Overall, it was an overwhelming, exciting, and fun day. I learned more than I thought I would and am so excited for the rest of the week.


No comments:

Post a Comment